More are after the jump:
Johnny Depp showed up in full Jack Sparrow to announce the name of the new movie in Disney’s Pirates Franchise as Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides." The film is expected to be released in 2011. By the Way Depp is also appearing in other Disney projects. He will be the Mad Hatter in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland and Tonto in The Lone Ranger. I should also mention that Tim Burton showed up to talk about “Alice”, but had no new footage.
Here is Johnny Depp's entrance:
Surprise guest Jerry Bruckheimer showed the first preview fvor "Prince of Persia". The movie stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Prince Dastan he has a magical dagger that offers the bearer the power to travel through time. Ben Kingsley (as the evil Nizam) wants to steal the dagger and use it to destroy the world, so Dastan and a woman named Tamina (Gemma Arterton) have to take it to "the secret guardian temple" where it can be safe.
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is scheduled to open May 28, 2010.
Toy Story 3 hits June 18th! We learned the plot at SDCC, Andy goes to college. Apparently, Toy Story 3 deals with what happens to his toys as he leaves, there was a hint that he may donate them to a pre-school. As previously announced, Barbie’s Ken will be voiced by Michael Keaton. The film also introduces a German toy in lederhosen named Mr. Prickle-Pants, voiced by Timothy Dalton. Other stars attached include Jeff Garland, Ned Beatey, Bonnie Hunt and Whoopi Goldberg.
here is the trailer:
"Rapunzel," Disney's 50th animated feature film (and the first CG-animated film to be a musical) is scheduled for theatrical release Christmastime 2010. The lead in "Rapunzel" will be Mandy Moore, (Zachary Levi has also joined the cast as the leading man). Apparently, Moore will voice a fighter-like princess with 70-foot long hair.
Fans at the Expo were treated to the first 30 minutes (roughly a third) of the movie. The Princess And The Frog follows a girl named Tiana who turns into a frog when she kisses a egotistical prince that has been turned into a frog by a witch doctor. The pair then head off on a journey around Louisiana in a bid to become human again.
Although the Princess And The Frog is set for a December 2009 release, I have my ticket to the limited two week advanced screening engagement for the movie at the Ziegfeld Theater in New York (with a 3/2 experience at Roseland after). (There are also sneak previews in LA, where fans will be given the opportunity to not only see the movie early but also be given a tour of the Disney Animation studio.)
I should also mention that Princess Tiana inspired wedding gown are now available as part of the Disney wedding collection.
John Travolta and Kelly Preston made their first public appearance since the tragic death of their son Jett, to promote the film they star in alongside daughter Ella Bleu. John Travolta told the crowd that he always appreciates "the audience's love" for him. Travolta, his wife Kelly Preston and their daughter Ella Blue, star with Robin Williams in "Old Dogs," which comes out in November. This is his daughter's first film. And, Travolta says he hopes people love the movie as much as he and Preston do because, quote, "I've got my baby in it." At that point, the head of Disney added they'll sign her to a 25-picture deal. When asked if he planned to do more Disney movies, Travolta said, "I'd like to do seven or eight more."
Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook says Oscar-winning filmmaker Guillermo del Toro is joining Disney to create a new brand, "Disney Double Dare You," which will produce scary animated fare. Del Toro (director of Pan's Labyrinth and the Hellboy movies, as well as the two upcoming Hobbit movies) will be "the creative force" behind these movies. Del Toro, who is in New Zealand for The Hobbit, appeared via a pre recorded presentation in which he said he hopes to create animated films in the chilling but family-friendly spirit of one of his favorite Disney theme park attractions, the Haunted Mansion. "I love to take audiences into fantastic new world and provide them with some anxious moments in the process," Del Toro said. "It is part of the Disney canon to create thrilling, unforgettable moments in the process. It is part of the Disney canon to create thrilling, unforgettable moments and villains in all their classic films. It is my privilege for Double Dare You to continue in this tradition."
The first project is called "The Troll Hunters." The filmmaker also said there will be a shared trait among all the Double Dare projects, which will include books, merchandise and films, but he kept that secret to himself on this day.
- A new Winnie The Pooh film being made for theatrical release in 2011.
- They showed the same clips from Tron Legacy
- Prep & Landing is a 30 minute computer animated Christmas special that will air on ABC. The show revolves around two wet works elves that prepare homes for Santa’s arrival.
- Cars 2 due in 2011. According to the plot, Finn McMissile, an Aston Martin, will challenge Lightning McQueen to a race around the world. Mosty of the original cast are due to return (well the surviving members, I presume). No voice is attached to McMissile. I’m guessing it will be a James Bond actor (Hopefully Connery).
- As previously mentioned in quick hits, Robert Zemeckis is doing a motion capturing version of the Beatles Yellow Submarine, aiming for a 2012 release.
- Nicholas Cage showed up to promote the Sorcerer’s Apprentice with photos.
- There's a fifth Tinker Bell DVD in the works, titled "Race Through the Seasons."
- On the last day of the Expo, Disney/Pixar's chief creative officer John Lasseter gave a presentation. Of special note was the fact that Lasseter admitted studios made a mistake shunning hand-drawn to focus on computer-generated and promised "a lot more" hand-drawn animation in the future.